About Me

Australia
I'm a Mum who has struggled with weight since having my daughter 24 years ago. Forever trying to find that one thing that helps to make weight loss easier.

Friday, February 12, 2010

BENEFITS OF HERBAL TEAS

I have not always been a herbal tea drinker. When I started high school, I would always come home looking for a coffee with 2 sugars every day.
Because I have been over weight ever since I had my daughter, I have tried every diet possible and in most diets they would advise you to cut back on caffeine, so I gradually weaned myself off the sugar, then came the coffee.
Now if you want to get off the sugar fix the best way that I found was to buy artificial tablets and gradually break them up into small pieces. Work your way down to just a grain and eventually you will not be able to stand the taste of sugar. TRY IT, it works.
Milk eventually was fazed out, I’m not sure how this happened, I just didn’t like the taste in tea anymore. I still have my latte’s but they are always decaf.
I know have green tea at least 4 or 5 times a day and I feel that I have benefited from it, so I thought about doing some research on the benefits of some herbal teas.


GREEN TEA: New research has shown that this is classed as a “miracle food”. It fights so many diseases at once, the healing power is incredible.
It has a positive effect on many organ systems in the body and stops the development of certain diseases. Has a high concentration of minerals and antioxidants, which help slow down the aging process and help the body.
It protects against cancer, has been shown through research that it lowers the occurrence of all types of cancers. Some animal studies have shown that applying it to the skin protects against cancerous changes and slow the progression of skin cancer.
  Green tea is very high in vitamin C and is also known to decrease blood cholesterol levels. It bind s itself with cholesterol and slows down the absorption of fat as it goes through the digestive system.
Helps prevent stomach, colon, rectal, liver, pancreatic, bladder, breast and lung cancers. Also thought to help with white blood cells during chemotherapy treatments.
Blood clotting is another plus for green tea. It thins the blood by relaxing blood vessels and decreases the results of fatal heart diseases and strokes.
Most important for me is it can help weightloss. It contains only 4 calories per serving and the polyphenols aid in the digestion of fats. (Polyphenols act as antioxidants).

OTHER HERBAL TEAS TO TRY

PEPPERMINT: Mildly stimulating. Sweetens the breath, helps congestion and stuffiness when you have a cold. Also great for the digestive system, can also be rubbed on the back of the neck for relief with a headache. Not recommended for children under the age of four. Great for foot massages.

CHAMOMILE: Used to soothe and prepare the body for restful sleep. Helps with the nervous system and relieves menstrual cramps. May be good for the kidneys, may help with bladder troubles. Can be used for children to help with colic and sleeping.
Use as an infusion for your bath.

There are so many more herbal teas that can be used and they all have great benefits. Look into adding it into your diet and you will feel so much better for it.
Using tea bags instead of teabags will give you more antioxidants and minerals, brew for up to 20 minutes, this gives it time to release all the antioxidants. Why not replace one coffee a day at first with herbal tea. Just give it a go, what’s the worst that can happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment