About Me

Australia
I'm a Mum who has struggled with weight since having my daughter 24 years ago. Forever trying to find that one thing that helps to make weight loss easier.

Friday, July 16, 2010

Body Mass Index! What Are They Talking About?

Have you ever heard people talking about BMI?
Body mass index, I've heard this a lot when people are talking about losing weight, so what are they talking about? What is it?

BMI is a rough measurement of your body's fitness. A statistical measure of body weight based on a person's weight and height and is used to estimate a healthy body weight based on a person's height.
If we have a high BMI we are more prone to getting heart diseases, diabetes and high blood pressure.

Now don't take this as gospel. We know how our body feels and what is our best look. The Body Mass Index is only a guide, some people who have a lot of muscle and are really toned up will be overweight by the BMI. But I bet they look great in a bikini or a pair of speedos.

Lets see if we can work mine out. You can do a search on google for a bmi calculator if you don't want to work it out for yourself.

BMI =
Weight(kg)
Height(m)x2

example
80kg
1.65x1.65
= 29.411764


Height and Weight Classification Chart.
19 or under (underweight)
20-25 healthy weight (low risk)
25-35 overweight 9moderate risk)
35-40 obese (high risk)
Over 40 morbid obesity (very high risk)
(I got this chart from A.J Rochester's book "The Lazy Girl's Guide to Losing Weight and Getting Fit," A Great read.)

According to this chart I am overweight (really!).
I feel okay with myself and am a little happier with my look but do really need to lose some more. How much more?
Lets take a look at what the BMI says I should be for my height and to have a healthy body.

67kg
1.65x1.65
= 24.632352


67kg "WOW" that would be great. Personally, I think that I would look to thin at this weight, but perhaps because I have not been that skinny since I was 14 years old. "Oh, so long ago."

If I could get between 70 and 75kg I think that I would be happy, it would be a struggle but I'm determined to do it. (Will Power)


No comments:

Post a Comment